Responsible for preparing large quantities of food in a safe and sanitary manner. Properly prepare meals and proportion sizes according to recipes and CACFP requirements. Maintain all kitchen, classroom, and center responsibilities.
Required Knowledge & Experience
- Must have High School diploma or GED equivalent.
- Must earn a Sanitation Certificate, experience in cooking and catering preferred.
- Ability to read, write and possess strong math skills.
- Must comply with regulation of IDPH pertaining to food service sanitation (77 IL Adm. Code 750).
- Bilingual preferred.
- Must pass all preliminary pre hire requirements including but not limited to Drug Testing and Criminal Background Clearances.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Properly check in and put away all deliveries of food and supplies. Assist with ordering when necessary.
- Wash, sanitize and put away all kitchen equipment including dishes, utensils, pots and pans.
- Comply with State and County sanitation safety regulations.
- Ensure that everyone entering the kitchen follows safety procedures.
- Accept and perform various duties delegated by Supervisors.
- Daily food preparation.
- Assist with maintenance.
- Keep confidential all information pertaining to Head Start children, families, and staff.
- Know all of the children’s names.
- Assist with kitchen, cleaning, office and classroom responsibilities as assigned.
- Familiarize self with and adhere to Head Start Performance Standards, DCFS Licensing Standards, and Two Rivers Head Start Agency Policies and Procedures.
- Help maintain 85% Average Daily Attendance by recording reasons for absences, contacting parents, etc.
- Welcome and encourage volunteer involvement at the center and guide volunteers in being maximally helpful.
- Encourage In‐Kind from parents and volunteers.
- Inspect playground for safety.
- Attend parent/child activities and field trips. One activity will be outside of work hours.
- Report concerns about suspected child abuse/neglect to Center Supervisor and/or Family Worker.
- Maintain required certification and attend trainings as required.
- Perform any other assigned tasks relevant to the effective operation of the agency or assigned by supervisor.
Essential Job Functions
- Must have sufficient strength and flexibility (ability to stoop, bend, twist, etc.) to frequently bend down to a child’s level, sit on the floor with the children, respond to a child’s quick and frequent movements and occasionally lift a child (30‐50 pounds). Must have ability to work in an environment with a high noise level and considerable activity.
- Physical demands ‐While performing duties of job, employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit for long periods of time; bend down to a child’s level, sit on the floor with the children, respond to a child’s quick and frequent movements, use hand to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk and hear. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move 30 to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close and distance vision.
- Work environment‐ Must have ability to work in an environment with a high noise level and considerable activity.