Come be a part of an agency that really cares about the community!
- Assist bus driver by monitoring the bus as required by State Law and provide support to center.
- Required Knowledge & Experience
- High school diploma or GED preferred.
- Valid Illinois Drivers License preferred.
- Willingness to obtain training as classroom aide/or bus driver and first aid/CPR.
- Must be able to monitor children and perform emergency bus evacuations.
- Must pass all preliminary pre hire requirements including but not limited to DOT Drug Testing, DOT & DCFS Physical Certification and Criminal Background Clearances.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Monitor bus on all bus runs.
- Learn and know bus routes.
- Assist children with safety restraints, making sure they are properly secured.
- Maintain order on the bus.
- Know all of the children’s names.
- Inspect bus after each run to make sure no children are left on the bus.
- Follow all loading and unloading procedures.
- Assist drivers with paperwork as needed.
- Distribute all correspondence to parents as directed by the Center Supervisor (newsletters, health advisories, children’s art work, etc.).
- Record reasons for absences through parent contact during route.
- Assist with emergency contact numbers of children.
- Know and participate in bus evacuation procedures.
- Assist with bus clean‐up.
- Assist with kitchen, cleaning, office and classroom responsibilities as assigned.
- Assist with field trips (on bus as chaperone).
- Familiarize self with and adhere to Head Start Performance Standards, DCFS Licensing Standards, and Two Rivers Head Start Agency Policies and Procedures.
- Help maintain 85% Average Daily Attendance by recording reasons for absences, contacting parents, etc.
- Assist with recruiting additional bus monitors to meet required standards.
- Welcome and encourage volunteer involvement at the center and guide volunteers in being maximally helpful.
- Encourage In‐Kind from parents and volunteers.
- Keep confidential all information pertaining to Head Start children, families, and staff.
- Report concerns about suspected child abuse/neglect to Center Supervisor and/or Family Worker.
- Maintain required certification and attend trainings as required.
- Perform any other assigned tasks relevant to the effective operation of the agency or assigned by supervisor.
Essential Job Functions
- Must have sufficient strength and flexibility (ability to stoop, bend, twist, etc.) to frequently bend down to a child’s level, sit on the floor with the children, respond to a child’s quick and frequent movements and occasionally lift a child (30‐50 pounds). Must have ability to work in an environment with a high noise level and considerable activity.
- Physical demands ‐While performing duties of job, employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit for long periods of time; bend down to a child’s level, sit on the floor with the children, respond to a child’s quick and frequent movements, use hand to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk and hear. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move 30 to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close and distance vision.
- Work environment‐ Must have ability to work in an environment with a high noise level and considerable activity.