• Assist bus driver by monitoring the bus as required by State Law and provide support to center.
• Required Knowledge & Experience
• High school diploma or GED required.
• Valid Illinois Drivers License preferred.
• Willingness to obtain training as classroom aide/or bus driver and first aid/CPR.
• Must be able to monitor children and perform emergency bus evacuations.
• Must pass all preliminary pre hire requirements including but not limited to DOT Drug Testing, DOT & DCFS Physical Certification and Criminal Background Clearances.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Monitor bus on all bus runs.
• Learn and know bus routes.
• Assist children with safety restraints, making sure they are properly secured.
• Maintain order on the bus.
• Know all of the children’s names.
• Inspect bus after each run to make sure no children are left on the bus.
• Follow all loading and unloading procedures.
• Assist drivers with paperwork as needed.
• Distribute all correspondence to parents as directed by the Center Supervisor (newsletters, health advisories, children’s art work, etc.).
• Record reasons for absences through parent contact during route.
• Assist with emergency contact numbers of children.
• Know and participate in bus evacuation procedures.
• Assist with bus clean‐up.
• Assist with kitchen, cleaning, office and classroom responsibilities as assigned.
• Assist with field trips (on bus as chaperone).
• Familiarize self with and adhere to Head Start Performance Standards, DCFS Licensing Standards, and Two Rivers Head Start Agency Policies and Procedures.
• Help maintain 85% Average Daily Attendance by recording reasons for absences, contacting parents, etc.
• Assist with recruiting additional bus monitors to meet required standards.
• Welcome and encourage volunteer involvement at the center and guide volunteers in being maximally helpful.
• Encourage In‐Kind from parents and volunteers.
• Keep confidential all information pertaining to Head Start children, families, and staff.
• Report concerns about suspected child abuse/neglect to Center Supervisor and/or Family Worker.
• Maintain required certification and attend trainings as required.
• Perform any other assigned tasks relevant to the effective operation of the agency or assigned by supervisor.
Essential Job Functions
• Must have sufficient strength and flexibility (ability to stoop, bend, twist, etc.) to frequently bend down to a child’s level, sit on the floor with the children, respond to a child’s quick and frequent movements and occasionally lift a child (30‐50 pounds). Must have ability to work in an environment with a high noise level and considerable activity.
• Physical demands ‐While performing duties of job, employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit for long periods of time; bend down to a child’s level, sit on the floor with the children, respond to a child’s quick and frequent movements, use hand to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk and hear. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move 30 to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close and distance vision.
• Work environment‐ Must have ability to work in an environment with a high noise level and considerable activity.