Coordinate Early Head Start center‐based program in the classroom for infant/toddlers, parents, and staff and provide educational experiences in the classroom setting utilizing the concept of team teaching.
Required Knowledge & Experience
- Associates or higher degree in Early Childhood Education or related field and 30 hours ECE coursework, equivalent to a major relating to early childhood education, with Early Childhood teaching experience.
- Child Development Associate (CDA) Certificate preferred in infant/toddler.
- Ability to pass the Sanitation Certification (training provided by agency).
- Bilingual preferred when demographics deem it necessary.
- Must pass all preliminary pre hire requirements including but not limited to Drug Testing and Criminal Background Clearances.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work with all infant/toddlers in a caring/professional manner, utilizing developmentally appropriate practices.
- Encourage the maximum intellectual, social/emotional and physical growth and development of each infant/toddler through language and curriculum.
- Plan and implement appropriate classroom activities with other member(s) of teaching team. Plan individualized activities to meet the needs of infant/toddlers. Submit lesson plans for review in a timely manner.
- Work as a partner with parents in assessing infant/toddler’s needs and setting goals for their individual growth and development. Provide evaluation assessment to infant/toddlers and families, including the ASQ. ASQ:SE and the assessment tool to plan, individualize and make classroom changes as needed.
- Familiarize self with and adhere to Head Start Performance Standards, DCFS Licensing Standards and Two Rivers Head Start Agency Policies and Procedures.
- Display and maintain daily classroom schedule.
- Responsible for helping maintain 85% Average Daily Attendance. Maintain and submit accurate daily attendance and meal count. Follow all program policies on infant/toddler’s absences.
- Plan and organize educational experiences relating to the curriculum.
- Integrate into the classroom developmentally appropriate strategies for dual language learners. Encourage parents to communicate in the child’s primary language in the home.
- Maintain classroom in orderly manner and assist in classroom/center cleaning.
- Prepare, conduct and document two (2) home visits and two (2) conferences each year for infant/toddlers.
- Maintain on‐going daily verbal and written communication with parents.
- Participate in staffings for infant/toddlers in class.
- Report concerns about suspected abuse/ neglect to Center Supervisor or Family Workers.
- Participate in scheduled training.
- Welcome and encourage volunteer involvement in the classroom and guide volunteers in being maximally helpful. Document parent/family involvement in curriculum development.
- Encourage and document In‐Kind hours and donations from parents and volunteers.
- Prepare and submit reports as requested in timely manner.
- Keep confidential all information pertaining to Head Start children, families and staff.
- Must attend all parent child activities.
- Assist in the recruitment and enrollment of children.
- Perform any other assigned tasks relevant to the effective operation of the agency or assigned by supervisor.
Essential Job Functions
- Must have sufficient strength and flexibility (ability to stoop, bend, twist, etc.) to frequently bend down to a child’s level, sit on the floor with the children, respond to a child’s quick and frequent movements and occasionally lift a child (30‐50 pounds). Must have ability to work in an environment with a high noise level and considerable activity.
- Physical demands ‐While performing duties of job, employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit for long periods of time; bend down to a child’s level, sit on the floor with the children, respond to a child’s quick and frequent movements, use hand to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk and hear. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move 30 to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close and distance vision.
- Work environment‐ Must have ability to work in an environment with a high noise level and considerable activity.