Elgin, IL 60123
You can be part of a wonderful agency that provides a great work/life balance while helping individuals and families in your own community!
Head Start Toddler Teacher
Coordinate Early Head Start program in the classroom and home for children, parents, and staff and provide educational experiences in the classroom setting utilizing the concept of team teaching.
Required Knowledge & Experience
- Associates degree or greater in Early Childhood Education or related field with 12 hours ECE coursework, equivalent to a major relating to Early Childhood Education preferred or Infant Toddler CDA.
- Experience teaching infant/toddler children preferred.
- Bilingual preferred when demographics deem it necessary.
- Must pass all preliminary pre hire requirements including but not limited to Drug Testing and Criminal Background Clearances.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work with all children in a caring/professional manner, utilizing developmentally appropriate practices.
- Encourage the maximum intellectual, social/emotional and physical growth and development of each child through language and curriculum.
- Plan and implement appropriate classroom activities with other member(s) of teaching team. Plan individualized activities to meet the needs of children. Submit lesson plans for review in a timely manner.
- Work as a partner with parents in assessing children’s needs and setting goals for their individual growth and development. Maintain and update ongoing assessment tool\portfolio and use outcome data to plan, individualize and make classroom changes as needed.
- Familiarize self with and adhere to Head Start Performance Standards, DCFS Licensing Standards and Two Rivers Head Start Agency Policies and Procedures.
- Display and maintain daily classroom schedule.
- Responsible for helping maintain 85% Average Daily Attendance. Maintain and submit accurate daily attendance and meal count. Follow all program policies on children’s absences.
- Plan and organize educational experiences/field trips relating to the curriculum. Submit field trip requests with classroom lesson plans as required.
- Integrate into the classroom developmentally appropriate strategies for dual language learners. Encourage parents to communicate in the child’s primary language in the home.
- Maintain classroom in orderly manner and assist in classroom/center cleaning. 1
- Prepare, conduct and document two (2) home visits and two (2) conferences each year for children.
- Maintain on‐going verbal and written communication with parents.
- Participate in staffings for children in class.
- Report concerns about suspected child abuse/ neglect to Center Supervisor or Family Workers.
- Participate in scheduled training.
- Welcome and encourage volunteer involvement in the classroom and guide volunteers in being maximally helpful. Document parent/family involvement in curriculum development.
- Encourage and document In‐Kind hours and donations from parents and volunteers.
- Prepare and submit reports as requested in timely manner.
- Keep confidential all information pertaining to Head Start children, families and staff.
- Must attend all parent child activities.
- Assist in the recruitment and enrollment of children.
- Perform any other assigned tasks relevant to the effective operation of the agency or assigned by supervisor.
Essential Job Functions
- Must have sufficient strength and flexibility (ability to stoop, bend, twist, etc.) to frequently bend down to a child’s level, sit on the floor with the children, respond to a child’s quick and frequent movements and occasionally lift a child (30‐50 pounds). Must have ability to work in an environment with a high noise level and considerable activity.
- Physical demands ‐While performing duties of job, employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit for long periods of time; bend down to a child’s level, sit on the floor with the children, respond to a child’s quick and frequent movements, use hand to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk and hear. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move 30 to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close and distance vision.
- Work environment‐ Must have ability to work in an environment with a high noise level and considerable activity.